Thanks for your reply Justin,

I'd like to avoid having multiple tenants in the same database, I feel
multi-database is easier to scale, and simpler in a code maintenance
sense. It does required to run database migrations once per tenant,
but I still see it as the better solution.

One solution I saw is having a schema per tenant:
http://tidbids.posterous.com/saas-with-django-and-postgresql-schemas
and another is a pandora's box:
https://github.com/gregmuellegger/django-pandora

I haven't tried any of these, but they seem like they might be
solutions for this problem.