How to map admin actions with shortcut keys ?

I have an action to perform on rows (objects) which changes the value of one
of the columns(fields) to "x" and some to "y" and some to "z".
I would like to save some time by not going through the normal route (after
selecting the rows, selecting from the drop down menu, the action to be
performed, then clicking go).

Is it possible to make it faster ?

One of ways i could think is through shortcut keys

Key 1 -> Perform admin action "x" on some rows

Key 2 -> Perform admin action "y" on some rows

key 3 -> Perform admin action "z" on some rows

Will appreciate if you can let me know how to approach this problem ?

Thanks.

Rahul