Apps vs Projects

There is probably no one better to address this topic than James
Bennet - see:
http://www.b-list.org/weblog/2008/feb/11/integrity/
(e.g. "when Django first appeared I was playing with Rails, and the
available options for this sort of reusable functionality in Rails
all, frankly, sucked: engines and plugins and what-have-you, and none
of it was really elegant.")

But you really need to watch this video.  Its long but James is very
very focused and clearly highlights the key concepts and their
practical demonstration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-S0tqpPga4