If you're using 1.3, you can make the e-mail address the username, which will
automatically require it to be unique.

I haven't used django-registration, but many others have, so maybe they'll be
able to answer. On face-value, I'd say that your question is a bit off, though;
django-registration doesn't replace the contrib.auth system. It just provides a
way for you to create a user-friendly registration system for your users, but
it still uses contrib.auth on the backend.

Shawn