I was just now researching some options for how to manage the way
certain post_save/pre_save signals can interfere with fixture loading
during tests, when I happened upon this ticket:

http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/12610

Which says:

"There is already a hook to check for this - data saved during a
fixture load is loaded 'raw', and the 'raw' argument is passed to the
pre/post save handlers. If you modify your pre/post save handlers to
do nothing in the case of a raw save, you should be able to load
fixtures without the problems you describe."

It made sense to me, but when I why tried to actually use it...I found
raw was not being passed at all to any of my handlers. Closer
examination of loaddata.py does not show it using save_base() or
passing raw anywhere.

So that leaves me confused. Am I overlooking something? Or is comment
by Russel in the ticket wrong?

I might do a bit more research. I imagine there must be a test or
other open ticket specifying the raw behavior, and if so that could be
broken, in which case I'll file a ticket. I figured I'd post here
first before raising the alarm.