Thanks for reply Mike and TheRedRabbit, unfortunately I have never got
to try your suggestions. Before your response came in I tried
upgrading Lucid Lynx to Maverick Meerkat and lets just say it didn't
go well for me, I no longer have Linux installed on my laptop so am
back in Windows :(

to be continued....