On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Sithembewena Lloyd Dube <zebr...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am building a search app. that will query an API. The app. will also
> store search terms in a very simple table structure.
>
> Big question: if the app. eventually hit 10 million searches and I was
> storing every single search term, would the table hold or would I run into
> issues?

As someone else said, 10 million records is no big deal for MySQL, in
principle.

However, you probably would do better to avoid all the overhead of a
database transaction for storing each of these.  I'm going to assume that
there will be duplicates, especially if you normalize the queries.  It would
make a lot more sense to log the queries into a text file, which has
extremely low overhead.  Then you'd periodically process the log files,
normalizing and eliminating duplicates, producing a bulk insert to load into
the database.  Bulk inserts will be FAR more efficient than using Django.

Nick