Dear ashdesigner

I haven't tried Pinax for a while but last time I did (June 2009) I
got the impression that it was an all-or-nothing affair.  Pinax was
marketing itself as a "social networking site in a box" and if that's
what you wanted, it was a reasonable choice.  However, it turned out
that I required only a few of the apps in pinax, and quite a few other
apps not in pinax.  After some experimenting and toing and froing, I
decided it would be much simpler to build something from scratch (of
course with django these days "from scratch" is not really from
scratch).

If someone's objective was to learn about django, I don't think Pinax
would be a good choice at all, partly because all the work has already
been done for you.  Mingus might be better for that, as it was created
as a case study of django applications working together.

I second Cal Leeming's question: can anyone point to Pinax sites in
the wild?

Best wishes

Ivan