On Jan 20, 1:47 pm, Kimberly Harvey <kharve...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I cannot install the Ubuntu, I have to use Derbian for work purposes.

Ok, I have some suggestions, as someone said this is not a linux
support group.

Before you start working with django, you should take this one step at
a time and get to know your working environment first. As a newbie to
linux, you should be going over the debian manuals [1].  That link
will take you through the installing debian on a i386 system. With
virtualbox the instructions are basically the same with some minor
vbox specific instructions (suggest reading up on vbox docs for how to
mount the iso, setup the environment, and configuring networking).

Once you get through this and you have a working install, do NOT jump
in with django at all, just don't, you'll end up with a few headaches.
Learn your environment, learn the basics of using the operating
system, learn how to admin it (no need to be an expert, but you can
learn how to use the operating system and manage files and create/
delete directories and permisions, understand what a root user and
your user and then move to package installation and how apache works
with the debian system.

linux.org lessons for beginners[2] will help (and also has a debian
install guide, not sure how outdated the install guide is actually).
The debian admin guide[3] will help you with some of the more advanced
techniques of managing packages and apache.

At this point if you still have problems it'll be best to direct them
to the debian lists and the debian irc channels.

If you can't take time to learn your environment like this because
your boss is demanding you do something django _NOW_... find a new
boss or explain to him he's putting you in an unfair position (unless
you bullshitted him into believing you're up to this point of
understanding with linux/debian, then you're s.o.l.).

Now when you get to here, you're ready to install django and have a
great understanding on how to do that already with apt-get (as the
suggestions given in other replies about apt-get are correct but way
above where you are at right now)

>From this point on if you have problems with django, come on back and
we'll be glad to help with most issues (including linux specific
stuff).

Mike.

[1] http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/index.html.en
[2] http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/toc.html