> I don't understand this. One is a URL, the other is a file path. Why
> would I set STATIC_URL = MEDIA_ROOT? Or did you make a typo and mean
> MEDIA_URL? That might make more sense to me.

MEDIA_ROOT is the path to the directory where your files will live.

MEDIA_URL is the URL the get to those files.

So if MEDIA_ROOT='/home/you/media'
and MEDIA_URL='site-media/'

Attention never use MEDIA_URL='media/' because that url is already used by the
admin interface.

Then if you want to view a file located at /home/you/media/thisFile.jpg you
enter http://yoursite.com/site-media/thisFile.jpg.

The same counts for STATIC_ROOT and STATIC_URL.

I hope everything is clear now. I'm aware the docs are pretty much useless on
these subjects. But then again that's about the only thing you can say bad
about django's documentation.

Sorry if I wasn't that obvious this morning but I didn't sleep well and I had
little time. But I could feel your frustration since I had the same problem
going on some day's ago.

Good luck!