On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:47 AM, bluesolver <brad.carle...@bluesolver.com> wrote:

> I don't know if I will actually fork the project, but I am getting to
> the point where I am maintaining multiple sites.  So I'm seeing a lot
> of duplicate code between different sites of mine.  I guess this is
> kind of an open ended question, but what is the best way to go about
> this?  My current plan is to build a custom framework alongside
> Django.  What are your thoughts?

I'm having difficulty seeing what was wrong with Masklinn's original
suggestion -- just use Django, but don't use the ORM.

If you want access to a cursor via Django (maintaining Django's
transaction support, etc), Django provides it.

If you want to use native cursors, you can.

If you want to use a completely different data store (such as Mongo), you can.

There are some feature limitations -- for example, you won't be able
to use the admin if you aren't using the ORM -- but that's part of the
price of choosing to not use the ORM. One of the reasons to use
Django's ORM to to provide dynamic model introspection; if you choose
to not use the ORM, you can't expect to get all the benefits of having
an ORM.

But none of this requires you to fork the project. Just don't use the
features you don't want to use. If that means you're building up a
library of utility code to reproduce the features the that ORM would
ordinarily provide, then... put that code into a library, and use it.

If you encounter problems doing this (forced import of libraries you
don't want to use, etc), then that is a bug that should be addressed.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)