let's make an example: in the datetime fields of the forms there will only
be a time, which is ok for the user. the date will be added later by some
background logic, for convenience.

practically:
- the user enters "0300" in the datetime field.
- I make "0300" into date=0, time=03:00, valid field.

if you have any other idea how to do this - don't hesitate :) . and maybe
(hopefully) this will also solve the mysteriously vanished datetime values.

Thanks!
Axel.