If I'm understanding your question correctly, you could write a function

and then include it ala

urlpatterns += gen_pop_pattern( models='Conversation', extra_context=context, template_name='forum/conversation_popular.html' )

this allows us on vc-chat to have the 'popular' page display in various parts of our url space

eg

then if i wanted to add another function say .. popular in the last week, I would add a line to gen_pop_pattern and I would get the functionality in 3 places.
eg