For some reason, I cannot seem to get template inheritance working and
I have tried everything I can think of, so now I'm asking here. My
problem is this: When I use one template, everything works fine. But
as soon as I try to offload some of the code in a child, it just
doesn't show up. Here are my files:

In my settings file I have added the template directory:

TEMPLATE_DIRS = (
    "/home/dtdannen/Projects/contestron/contestron1/templates",
)

My views.py points to the right place. Here is my 'base' or 'parent'
file (filename "problems_index.html"):

    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
<head>
  <!-- link CSS here -->
  <title>Welcome to the problems page! Happy Coding :)</title>
</head>

  {% block problist %}
  <h3>No problems currently exist, check back soon for new
problems....</h3>
  {% endblock problist %}
  <hr />

This file works just fine. In fact, if I just substitute the code from
the child and paste it into here (where the {% block problist %} is)
everything works. I know that its not a problem with my variables or
my database. Here is my 'child' file (filename
"problems_index_problist.html"):

{% extends "problems_index.html" %}

{% block problist %}
<h1>TEMPLATE INHERITANCE IS WORKING!!!!</h1>

  {% for prob in problems_list %}

  <h3>Description:</h3>

  <h3>Solution:</h3>

  <hr />
  {% endfor %}
{% endblock problist %}

No matter what I do, when I visit the parent, it just displays the
default value inside {% block problist %} as if the child doesn't
exist. Both the child and parent files are in the same directory, the
directory I listed in my settings under template dirs.

I have spent like 2 hours trying to figure this out, reading stuff
online, and nothing so far. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Dustin

P.S. I know my files might seemed to be named funny, but that's
because I wasn't sure if the actual filename of the parent and/or
child matter to the template system. Any advice on this would be
great.