I feel, this should be something integrated into Django, too.

So far I am using transdb (but I am still sitting on Django 1.1).

advantage:
- all translations in one field as a dict so easy searchable, if icontains is
all you want

disadvantages:
- all translations in one field as a dict, therefor finds other rows having a
similar phrase (in other languages), too, as you must use icontains
- you can not use startswith or endswith
- no support for django-tagging

regards

Henrik