What do you mean by 'gunicorn instance' here?

> The idea is that in each gunicorn instance I set the
> DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE to a different settings.py file, and hopefully
> get the corrrect result.

In any case, I highly recommend you just use supervisord[1] for this
and put the path to the settings files in your supervisor config.

Here's an example of what your supervisord config might look like:

[program:my_site_1]
command=/home/username/projects/awesome_site/manage.py run_gunicorn
127.0.0.1:8000 --settings=projects.site1_settings

[program:my_site_2]
command=/home/username/projects/awesome_site/manage.py run_gunicorn
127.0.0.1:8100 --settings=projects.site2_settings

1: http://supervisord.org/

Shawn