On 15/03/11 14:56, Tom Evans wrote:
On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Ben Dembroski<i...@ionraystudios.com>  wrote:
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. (You're right, my example was lousy).

I did in fact try what you suggested earlier on, and got the the
following error:

AttributeError at /people/add/

'ValidationError' object has no attribute 'message_dict'

Request Method:         POST
Request URL:    http://localhost:8000/people/add/
Django Version:         1.3 rc 1 SVN-15755
Exception Type:         AttributeError
Exception Value:

'ValidationError' object has no attribute 'message_dict'

Exception Location:     /home/benjamin/Ion/ellieharrison/trajectories/
views.py in playeradd, line 298
Python Executable:      /usr/bin/python
Python Version:         2.6.6
Python Path:

['/home/benjamin/Ion/ellieharrison',
  '/usr/lib/python2.6',
  '/usr/lib/python2.6/plat-linux2',
  '/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-tk',
  '/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-old',
  '/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload',
  '/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages',
  '/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/PIL',
  '/home/benjamin/django-trunk',
  '/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/gst-0.10',
  '/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6',
  '/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/gtk-2.0',
  '/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/gtk-2.0']

Server time:    Tue, 15 Mar 2011 14:27:13 +0000

I have this in the code:
from django.core.exceptions import ValidationError, NON_FIELD_ERRORS

and the code is currently so:
except ValidationError, e:
                                errormsg = e.message_dict[NON_FIELD_ERRORS]

                                form = EditPerson()
                                return render_to_response('personentry.html', {
'form' : form,
'errormsg': errormsg  },context_instance=RequestContext(request))

Here's the full traceback:

Environment:

Request Method: POST
Request URL: http://localhost:8000/people/add/

Django Version: 1.3 rc 1 SVN-15755
Python Version: 2.6.6
Installed Applications:
['django.contrib.auth',
  'django.contrib.contenttypes',
  'django.contrib.sessions',
  'django.contrib.sites',
  'django.contrib.messages',
  'django.contrib.admin',
  'trajectories']
Installed Middleware:
('django.middleware.common.CommonMiddleware',
  'django.contrib.sessions.middleware.SessionMiddleware',
  'django.middleware.csrf.CsrfViewMiddleware',
  'django.contrib.auth.middleware.AuthenticationMiddleware',
  'django.contrib.messages.middleware.MessageMiddleware')

Traceback:
File "/home/benjamin/django-trunk/django/core/handlers/base.py" in
get_response
  111.                         response = callback(request,
*callback_args, **callback_kwargs)
File "/home/benjamin/django-trunk/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py"
in _wrapped_view
  23.                 return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/home/benjamin/Ion/ellieharrison/trajectories/views.py" in
playeradd
  298.                          errormsg = e.message_dict[NON_FIELD_ERRORS]

Exception Type: AttributeError at /people/add/
Exception Value: 'ValidationError' object has no attribute
'message_dict'

Hmm, I think the docs are, if not wrong, misleading. From looking at
the code (1.2/trunk), ValidationError only has an attribute
message_dict if it is constructed with a dictionary (I let out an
audible 'ewww' as I read the code).

If it is constructed with a string or a list of strings, then it
should have an attribute messages, which is a simple list of strings.

There is also a method update_error_dict(). I think using this, you
can write some code which works in all cases:

from django.core.exceptions import ValidationError, NON_FIELD_ERRORS
try:
except ValidationError, e:
   message_dict = e.update_error_dict({})
   print message_dict[NON_FIELD_ERRORS]

Just while I'm on this class, the update_error_dict() method will
happily take None as an argument if it is constructed with a
dictionary (by design, it checks for it), but blows up if it is
constructed with a list or a string:

e=ValidationError({'foo': 'bar'})
e.update_error_dict(None)
{'foo': 'bar'}
e=ValidationError('foo bar')
e.update_error_dict(None)
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<console>", line 1, in<module>
   File "django/core/exceptions.py", line 85, in update_error_dict
     error_dict[NON_FIELD_ERRORS] = self.messages
TypeError: 'NoneType' object does not support item assignment

This class is horrendous - however it is constructed, it should
present a consistent interface. It can't even present a consistent
method.

Dirty, Bad and Wrong.

Cheers

Tom