Thanks for the feedback.  I've looked at git submodules and think that
will be a useful tool in django projects that share apps, once I'm
comfortable with the submodule functionality & understand how it fits
in with my prjoects.  And once I get my apps so they actually are in
fact "pluggable" (not there yet) I'll be looking at making them
installable with pip via pypi.

In the mean time, I've thought through our site and how i want to
structure the projects & repos and thought I would share what I've
come up with.

Basically what I've come up with for our specific scenario, is a
realization that our site consists of three or four distinct
"projects" or Applications (not talking about django apps) with fairly
distinct and modular sets of functionalities. Within each of these
projects will be various django apps, which i would like to make as
pluggable as possible. Our client users will need to have access to
each of the Applications (corresponding to the projects) from a
central dashboard, with a corresponding wrapper templates.  So in
addition to each separate Application project, I a have a "glue"
project that includes the general site functionality (e.g., user
accounts & permissions, wrapper templates, etc.) For now, I'm setting
up each project as its own repository, since releases might be
different for each one, and I want the projects themselves, in
addition to their apps, to be fairly pluggable, and even stand on
their own as deployable sites. The "glue" project for the dashboard &
common functionality will have a settings.py for the whole site, which
is cognizant of all the included projects, although individual
projects will have their own settings.py that can be used to deploy
them individually.  We'll see how this set up goes.

btw, I'm using virtualenv & pip for managing site-packages & external
packages, and using Fabric for deploying to development, staging,
production virtual hosts. I've currently set it up so each project has
its own corresponding virtualenv environment and fabric script but
haven't quite figured the long term vision for all of this out yet
since i'm still familiarizing myself with the different tools.  If
someone sees any pitfalls to be aware of, let me know.

Any feedback is, of course, welcomed.

Thanks,

Ben