* Bill Freeman <ke1g...@gmail.com> [110322 16:38]:
> You don't actually need an webserver for a learning scenario, so
> apache, or even lighthttp is unnessary.  Django comes with the
> "development server" built in.  Python itself listens on a port for
> HTTP requests.
>
> Of somewhat more importance is a database.  You can't do much
> without one.  While you can use a database over the net, letting
> you run somewhere else, you would need connectivity.  I'd suggest
> that you start with SQLite, which ought to be available for you.  If
> I'm not mistaken, more recent Python versions come with it built
> in.  In any even, it's pretty light weight, and the Django docs and
> tutorials all tell you how to set it up (it's actually easier to configure
> than most deployment grade databases).  All the data will be in a
> file that you can save a copy of before trying something new, or
> just delete to start over, without having to know how to get a database
> to drop your tables, etc.
>
> Python 2.4.4 is a bit long in the tooth.  I'm tempted to suggest
> working with a newer version, but xandros, like most distros,
> probably depends on having its favorite version around, so you
> can't just replace it.  It is possible to have more than one version
> installed, but that will eat into what I'm assuming is flash disk.
> And 2.4.4 will likely work just fine withDjango and most of its
> tutorials.  If you find a piece of code in a tutorial that gives
> unexpected errors, however, remember that folks writing new
> tutorials may choose to use some features that weren't there
> in 2.4.  On the other hand, if you do decide to have a second
> install, DO NOT go all the way to the 3.x version.  Only go as
> far as 2.7.x, and even that has a few quirks (that mostly turn
> to depracation warnings).  I'd really suggest the latest 2.6.x
> if you're going to do it, and either read carefully about using
> 'altinstall' rather than 'install' when you build it (if there is no
> package) or set the prefix so that it gets installed in your home
> directory, where it won't replace the meaning of 'python' for
> your system tools.
  Hi Bill:
        Thanks for taking the time to answer. I've run into more
        dependency problems than I am willing to take the time to
        resolved on the little feller. I'm thinking that slax might be
        worth looking into. I think it might be more appropriate if I
        start a separate thread regarding slax.
        However, FYI I've used up less than 20% of the disk space on the
        asus.
        cheers
--
Tim
tim at johnsons-web dot com or akwebsoft dot com