been playing with this some more and i still can't work out what ive
done to cause this issue.

as i see it, when saving a Venue, the Survey model which is FK'd to
the Venue is complaining that the user_id isn't set.

However there is nothing being saved by the Survey model, so why is it
even getting involved?

Next step is to take the Survey model out of the equation, resync the
db, prove that the code works to save a venue I guess.