Maybe I'm missing something...

I would say I'm relatively familiar with the Django framework by this
point. I'm mocking up a website, and I want to link static files into
the base template. Instead of having the url's directly in the
template, I'd like to call the STATIC_URL variable from within the
template, so for example I could have

<link rel="style" type="text/css" href="{{ STATIC_URL }}style.css" />

instead of

<link rel="style" type="text/css" href="http://www.domain.org/style.css"; />

Is this something that's possible or advisable? How is this problem
normally handled so I don't have to retype pretty much everything if I
move my site around? I haven't been able to find anything in the
documentation regarding this.