Strange, I must have replied to the author only.

It seems as though I was a goof and after looking through the source I
discovered how the model manager handles functions for the queryset.

xyz.objects.get_query_set()._filter_or_exclude(...) does the trick.  I
assumed it wasn't available without understanding how it is made
available in the first place.

- Shane