The obvious big difference with REST framework is that the API is entirely
web browse-able. To me that's quite a big deal - your API can be genuinely self
documenting, and it's massively easier to browse, work with, and debug, than it
would be if your working from the command line all the time.

  There's a bunch of other things I think it does well, from really nice error
handling, using Django's class based views with mixin classes, and treating
form and json etc input equally as regards validation, but I really need to sit
down and write that stuff up properly sometime. (not got the time to go into it
right now)

  And, yeah I would def use hidden form fields to set the method if you need
web browser support for DELETE/PUT etc. It's a pretty common pattern, and it's
much better than polluting your URL space specifically to cope with browser
limitations.

  Cheers,
  Tom