On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Sells, Fred
<fred.se...@adventistcare.org>wrote:

> In my case I had to read some legacy data from a different schema on the
> same MySQL server and it was easy (but perhaps not elegant) to just
> establish a separate connection using MySQLdb module.

You shouldn't have to do that.  Use this:

from django.db import connection, transaction
cursor = connection.cursor()

Then you can do anything you would with a MySQLdb cursor, e.g.:

cursor.execute("UPDATE foo SET bar = 3")

After any operation that changes data, apparently you should also call this:

transaction.commit_unless_managed()

I'm doing a lot of that right now to vastly speed up a huge data import.

Nick