On Apr 12, 6:47 am, Harish Tejwani <har...@wizni.com> wrote:
> What would be the best module or app that can support
>
> a) User's Password expiring every 6 months, so they are forced to
> change it

Although Django supports it, I would STRONGLY discourage you from
implementing such a policy.  Password expiration is well known in the
security community as being a horrible idea that has somehow become
popular.  Refer to Bruce Schneier's writings on the subject if you
want more information, but briefly, expiring passwords is based on the
assumption that a bad guy has acquired an encrypted password and needs
longer than the expiration period to crack the encryption.  This
assumption is nearly always false, especially with a 6-month
expiration period.

The other reason it's a horrible idea is that it forces people to pick
bad passwords.  Choosing a good password takes time, and suddenly
presenting them with a requirement that they pick a new password makes
that time unavailable.  (FWIW, my current password is over six years
old.  My servers get attacked daily and have never been cracked.)

> b) For new user's that get system generated passwords, and are forced
> to change at FIRST login

This is a much more sensible idea, but if you want your users to be
safe, be sure they are notified of this requirement well before the
first login, so that they can spend some time thinking about good
passwords.