Your question is sorta of naive. With Django or Ruby you can build any kind
of websites. Your software must provide it to be "a social network".

First of all, as others recommended, learn webprogramming. CSS, HTML are a
must. Now for the "social" aspect of the thing, it will depend on your
modelling, goals, and a lot of other things.

You can make a social network with django in three minutes, but I doubt you
can make one as popular or as well designed as Facebook in that little time
(and a lot of other things)

Well, good luck...

George

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 9:09 PM, Rodrigo Ruiz <rodrigo.ru...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Another thing I still haven't decided is between python with Django or ruby
> on rails.
>
> I know it's a Django group, so I know i must expect the good aspects on
> Django, but why should I use Django instead of ruby on rails?
> I don't know any, so I can't defend any, but one thing I had trouble with
> pytho with Django is information on what I want. With ruby I found a book on
> amazon "RailsSpace - Building a Social Networking Website with Ruby on
> Rails" which is specifically for what I want (build a social network), but I
> wasn't able to find anything on django.

George R. C. Silva

Desenvolvimento em GIS
http://geoprocessamento.net