I have set the choices list in the view:

    choices =
SomeModel.objects.filter(user=request.user).values_list('id','label')

Then, after the form is instantiated, modify the choices attribute of
the ChoiceField:

    form = SomeOtherModelForm()
    form.fields['model_dropdown'].choices = choices

Works in a similar fashion with a ModelChoiceField and the queryset
attribute.