Hi,

This issue has been raised on Stack Overflow many times without any
resolution.  The gist is that all of the views in my site are
protected by the @login_required decorator except for a splash page
and  a registration page (which is only accessible by going through
the splash page and passing a test which sets session data).

At my registration page, I register a user based on my custom
UserCreationForm and then authenticate and login this user.  For some
users, this works as it should.  For others though, there is a nasty
bug.  After they register/login, they are redirected to my homepage as
an authenticated User.  However, the next request that they send to my
site is interpreted as an Anonymous User.  They are redirected to my
splash page where they have to login in again.  Once they login, they
are fine to move around the site.

I've seen other Django developers have the same exact issue with
registering and logging in a user in the same view.  There hasn't been
a satisfactory answer yet, though I've seen it suggested that it could
be related to MySQL timeouts or threading issues.

Any thoughts on what could be the cause of this?  I can't reproduce
the error on my computer, so it's really hard to debug/log.  POSSIBLE
SOLUTION: I'm thinking about registering the user and setting session
variables in the register view and then redirecting to the login view,
where I'll read the session variables.  That seems somewhat insecure,
except for the fact that both register and login are handled through
Https. I'm not sure that that strategy will even work.

Thanks for any help!

Ben