SQlite has issues with efficiently serving multiple database connections
simultaneously.  It is still ACID compliant, but the performance can crawl
with multiple users.  I think this has to do with the locking being
filesystem based.  That being said it sounds like your db's would all be
used by independent clients so this probably isn't an issue for you.  If you
need to in the future relate data that is isolated in individual sqlite
databases then it would have been better to have things in one place.  To
recap, IMHO, if you have a portability requirement, a single user at a time
per db, and no need to relate data in between these small independent
databases then go with SQlite.

If you decide to go with a big db, go with Postgres.  It's the best in the
business for the money and complexity.  I have used mysql a lot before too,
and I do not recommend it.  Oracle is complicated and closed.

Best,
Brian

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 6:32 AM, VoodooH <radu.hasan2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> We currently have a desktop software that uses a sqlite embedded
> database. We are now gonna develop the online version for our software
> and we need your opinion on these matters :
>
> 1. We were thinking of giving our users the option to switch between
> the online and offline version of the software by simply moving the
> sqlite database between the two applications. This would save us a lot
> of dev time for now, but we are afraid that we will have scalability
> issues later. There will be around 10 000 users at least, so at least
> 10 000 sqlite independent databases. The other option of course is a
> very big PostgreSQL database. There will be millions, if not tens of
> millions of records in this BIG database.
>
> Which version do you recommend between the two ? Should we go for the
> fast development sqlite version or build a database from scratch and
> make some import/export tools between the two apps ?
>
> 2. If we were to go for the big database version, which one yould you
> recommend between PostgreSQL, MySQL and ORACLE ?
>
> 3. Any ideas on how it would be best to implement a sync tool between
> the desktop and the SaaS if we go for the PostgreSQL version ?
>
> Thank you very much !
>
> Regards,
>  Radu

Brian Bouterse