In the name of not trusting any data coming from the client, one way that
IBM uses often is called
continuations<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuations>.
 Basically you keep all data on the server, and only give the client an
identifier of that data.  This typically enforces a server-side state
machine that ensures what a user can and can't do with the application from
a given state.

This is not exactly what is being discussed here, but it is near it in
topic, so I thought I would mention it.

Brian

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd] <
cal.leem...@simplicitymedialtd.co.uk> wrote:

> To be honest, I'd be careful when using this approach.
>
> If you are intending on hiding the PKs, as a way to stop people hitting PKs
> they shouldn't be able to hit, then this means your security model is flawed
> from the ground up.
>
> However, if you are doing it to stop PKs from being leaked, then this is
> fine.
>
> Remember the number 1 rule in security.. NEVER TRUST THE CLIENT!!!
>
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 1:24 PM, ALJ <astley.lejas...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a form that I use to collect contact information from
>> unregistered users. When they submit the form I want to redirect to a
>> confirmation page (as the Django documentation suggests). However,
>> instead of a generic page, I wanted to include the information that
>> they have submitted and the contact details of the person for their
>> area. I was also thinking that I could include the current status of
>> their enquiry. Therefore they could perhaps use the same link to come
>> back to check the status of their query.
>>
>> Given that, is there a best practice pattern for handling this
>> situation? I have a quick demo where the URL is:
>>
>> http://www.mydomain.com/contact/confirmation/1234
>>
>> ... where '1234' is the pk for the query. Obviously I would want to
>> encrypt the pk in this case, otherwise someone could just use the pk
>> to trawl through the database.
>>
>> Are there any default ways of encrypting django urls?
>>
>> --
>>

>  --

Brian Bouterse
ITng Services