Thanks so much for your response. I have done all that and I have
model forms working for other models.
However, I keep getting validating errors with datetime, probably is
how I am entering the data. I have also tried the SplitDateTimeWidget
I am getting the same
validation error. I have tried manually creating  the form and it
worked. I wonder what is the normally approach to DateTimeField in
django templates. Is using the
SplitDateTimeWidget the norm or should I use the AdminDateTimeWidget ?

Thanks again.

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Kenny Meyer <knny.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Kevin Miller <kevinvani...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I am new to django but is in the process of building my first website. I have
>> been ok for a while as I am not new to programming in python. However, I have
>> one problem that I cannot figure out the proper way to do it. I want to use
>> ModelForm but have a DateTime Field. I can do it without using a ModelForm
>> but
>> I think using the ModelForm is the proper way to do it.
>
> What's the problem with the DateTimeField in a model?
>
>> Can someone show me a small example of using ModelForm with DateTime field?
>> How can can the DateTime field me displayed in django templates?
>
> in your models.py:
>
> class Foo(models.Model):
>    datetime = models.DateTimeField()
>
> class FooForm(forms.ModelForm):
>    class Meta:
>        model = Foo
>

> in your views.py:
>
> def bar(request):
>    form = FooForm()
>    return render_to_response("bar.html", {"form": form})
>

> in template bar.html:
>
>    {{ foo }}
>

> There's absolutely nothing special here :) .
>
> If you couldn't understand some of the code, then you should read the
> documentation .
> http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/forms/modelforms/

Kevin Miller
Acting Data Controller