There are a lot of options for this.

One way is as you described. Another would be to serve the images from another server entirely, like Amazon's S3.

It depends on how you want to do it and what resources you have available.

If you specifically want to know whether there are additional advantages to using nginx if you still choose to use Apache to serve Django then maybe someone else knows -- I don't have much experience with Apache. If it was my setup I'd drop Apache entirely and just use nginx + gunicorn. Apache is too heavy and complicated (in my opinion), and completely unnecessary when hosting a Django site.

Remember that nginx is technically a reverse proxy, which means it doesn't serve the exact same purpose as Apache. It functions great for proxying all your incoming traffic to the proper service.