hi gabe -

response = render_to_response('reports/trackingdump.html',{'trs':trs,})
        filename='trackingdump.xls'
response['Content-Disposition'] = 'attachment; filename=' + filename response['Content-Type'] = 'application/vnd.ms-excel; charset=utf-8'

that's how we're dumping it to excel... it works fine in open office and non ms 2010 versions of excel.