Thanks much for your reply Jonas, I'll give it a try later.

SimpleUserFolder is a Zope "Product" that allows for authentication
via other mechanisms than Zope's built-in user management. I'm sure
there is a way to bend Django around the database tables in some way,
but as i've never tried that before I thought it a good idea to ask
the experts first.

The database table is called "users" and has, among others, the
following columns:

mysql> desc users;
+---------------------+--------------------------------+------+-----
+-------------------+----------------+
| Field               | Type                           | Null | Key |
Default           | Extra          |
+---------------------+--------------------------------+------+-----
+-------------------+----------------+
| user_id             | int(11)                        | NO   | PRI |
NULL              | auto_increment |
| login               | varchar(16)                    | NO   | UNI
| name                | varchar(80)                    | NO   | MUL
| password            | varchar(16)                    | YES  |     |
NULL              |                |
| role                | set('Manager','User','Driver') | YES  | MUL |
Driver            |                |

The password is encrypted using mysql's password() function, but I
guess that would not pose too much of a problem, right?

All the best, Uwe