We use Celery & RabbitMQ for the following:

    Scheduling SMS & e-mail for times in the future based on appointments.

    Making deposits on debit cards.

    Regularly-scheduled report e-mail notifications.

    Async e-mail & sms alerts to users when certain activity occurs.

Compiling report data and loading it into MongoDB so it can be used for all reporting; reporting does not put a drain on our application database.

API calls (such as checking a cardholder's balance) for display on the page with AJAX (for faster page loads).

The primary benefit for all of these is asynchronous processing -- we don't slow down page loads for our users. However, the ability to schedule additional attempts when exceptions are caught is great also.

Shawn