I create a folder called 'pyenv' in the root of my 'home' directory and put all of my virtualenvs there.

I don't use the root user or the root home folder for anything, and you probably shouldn't either.

If you're going to have multiple projects running on the same server, here's what I do. I don't know if it's "recommended," but it works great for me (and my company).

    Separate 'home' folder for each project.

Each 'home' folder has a 'pyenv' folder. You'll only be actively using one, but you can have multiple for testing updates to Python modules or Python versions.

Always install and use supervisor + gunicorn, and have the Django app run (via gunicorn) by supervisor. You'll need to tweak the supervisor config file so that the log and PID files don't conflict, but that's easy.

One nginx installation with separate config files for each project, each very simple and mainly just doing a proxy_pass to the appropriate port.

If you have more questions don't hesitate.

Shawn