On 24 May 2011 20:01, Nan <ringe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Matt.  Normally I'd agree with you, but this application isn't
> just a website -- it's sensitive to latency issues and will be
> integrating with a third-party service that's also UK-based, so we're
> looking at minimizing cross-Atlantic round-trips.

If you're that worried about latency then a cheap lowend vps maybe the
way. Both slicehost, Rackspace cloud and linode do
London based vps's or try tagadab. Or what about an amazon small
instance in Ireland? Or ovh in France or london?

For actual hardware have a look on http://www.lowenddedi.net/

HTH
Dan

> On May 24, 2:46 pm, shofty <m...@shofty.me> wrote:
>> just use webfaction, you dont know that they're US when you connect
>> from the UK, speed isnt an issue.
>> I moved to a VPS for cost reasons, but webfaction were fine for me.
>>
>> Matt
>>
>> On May 24, 6:03 pm, Nan <ringe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > I know this question has been asked before, but the most recent thread
>> > I can find in the archives is from 2007, and presumably the landscape
>> > has changed since then.
>>
>> > I'm looking for a Webfaction-like host with servers in the UK.  It
>> > needs to allow long-running processes, of course, and would ideally be
>> > (like Webfaction) fully managed.  (We don't have the staff to keep a
>> > server updated or tuned).  We need plenty of memory, shell access (of
>> > course), and preferably mod_wsgi.
>>
>> > Does anyone have any recommendations of hosts they've worked with?
>>
>> > Thanks!
>> > -Nan

Dan Hilton