This should help out. It's for a file, not SysLogHandler, but the idea is the same.

Just take any arguments you would normally pass to the handler if you were creating it programmatically and add them as keys to the dictionary:

        'log_file': {
            'level': 'DEBUG',
            'class': 'logging.handlers.RotatingFileHandler',
            'filename': '/tmp/myfilename.log',
            'formatter': 'verbose',
            'backupCount': 50,
            'maxBytes': 2 ** 20,
        },

As demonstrated here, filename, backupCount, and maxBytes (used by the RotatingFileHandler but not in Django's default logging dict) were just added and given values. Do the same for SysLogHandler parameters and it should work.

I had the same difficulty you were having in figuring this out; we should update the documentation to mention this. I'll open a ticket.

Shawn