On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 9:44 AM, Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]
<cal.leem...@simplicitymedialtd.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 2:34 AM, Russell Keith-Magee
> <russ...@keith-magee.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]
>> <cal.leem...@simplicitymedialtd.co.uk> wrote:
>> > +1 on this new feature.
>> > For those that don't understand how this impacts performance, I'm
>> > dedicating
>> > a chunk of the (soon to come) webcast to explaining how this works and
>> > the
>> > future ideas for monkey-patching the ORM with deferred execution (which
>> > basically means to make this a 99% drop-in replacement).
>> > For those testing this new DSE feature, please remember to use manual
>> > transactions, perform dryrun's first, and keep the chunk size low (as
>> > these
>> > are all factors which need to be changed based on what your data is, and
>> > what you are doing with it).
>>
>> For the record, Alex Gaynor prepared a patch at DjangoCon Europe that
>> adds bulk inserts to Django's ORM.
>>
>> http://paste.pocoo.org/show/404031/
>>
>> In brief, it means that:
>>
>>    >>> Entry.objects.bulk_create([
>>    ...     Entry(headline="Django 1.0 Released"),
>>    ...     Entry(headline="Django 1.1 Announced"),
>>    ...     Entry(headline="Breaking: Django is awesome")
>>    ... ])
>
> Oh, that's a big game changer then. If bulk_create() is considered for the
> core, then that means we have a real good chance of getting bulk_update()
> considered too. But, some thought would need to go into how the syntax
> looks.. My guess is it would either be a monkey patch with some defers, then
> a call to bulk_update() at the end (how the hell this would work into
> automated transaction management I don't know). Or, it'd be a set of new
> functions (i.e. start_bulk_update(), add_bulk_update(),
> execute_bulk_update() ), or something like that..
> Russell, should we get a ticket created for bulk_update to discuss how this
> should be done? Or should a proposal be drawn up first and submitted for
> comments?

I think some mailing list discussion is warranted -- bulk insert has a
clear and obvious SQL interpretation; it isn't immediately clear to me
what bulk-update means from a SQL perspective, and why it isn't just a
thin layer of data manipulation over the top of a couple of existing
Django update calls.

For the record, #7596 is the ticket for bulk insert.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)