If you split your translation strings into separate files, e.g.

locale/<lang>/LC_MESSAGES/model.po
locale/<lang>/LC_MESSAGES/forms.po

manage.py compilemessages will compile them successfully to create .mo files BUT django (1.3) will not load them. It expects to see ONE file called django.mo - it will not load the other mo files and if there is no django.mo file then no translations are loaded.

A possible step would be to split the files then simply concatenate them together, using a custom management command, before calling compilemessages. That would make it easier to manage the translations but at the cost of an extra step in preparing for deployment.

Stuart MacKay
Lisbon, Portugal