We have a custom 'sites framework' implementation that basically
consists of a Site model and SiteManager. For some reason, when
running the app, the Site model uses the SiteManager from
django.contrib.sites instead of our own.

I did the following from within the app:

from myapp.sites.models import Site
print type(Site.objects)

<class 'django.contrib.sites.models.SiteManager'>

When doing the same from the management shell (./manage.py shell), I
get the expected output:

>>> from myapp.sites.models import Site
>>> type(Site.objects)

<class 'myapp.sites.models.SiteManager'>

The app used to run just fine on Django 1.0 and subsequently on 1.1
and 1.2 during my current upgrade attempt to get the app onto version
1.3. So, my question is: what exactly am I doing wrong or have I
stumbled upon a subtle bug of some sort?

Thanks in advance.