This sounds like too much work, every time you want a new option in
the sidebar you're adding another if, right?

I'm planning on building a template tag to handle side content like
that. I am using mezzanine as my base so i have the luxury of having
every url resolve to their Page model. So i'm going to be using a
onetomany field (i think) to assign content to pages as well as a
section (sidebar_left , sidebar_right, etc)

In the main template all i'm going to have to do is

{% sidebar_left page.id %}

pass page.id through to the function and return all of the content
that has a key to that page.id.

there will be more to it, such as figuring out which model the content
belongs to in order to send the data to the correct template to render
it with