I agree with Andres; based on your description, you should be able to
do this with no issues. We are using a legacy database system with 15
years worth of company data - constantly updated by a legacy web based
app (written in delphi) - and have adding new functionality via django
(both reading and writing to the same db) for about 18 months now,
with no issues.

You must:  Create a stage environment by taking duplicates of your
live data and use it to test, test, and test. And test again. Examine
the data record by record to ensure that what you THINK is happening
actually IS happening. Make sure that your models match from one
application to another.

Also read up on how transactions work in your particular database
system  - and check out how django handles them (eg:
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/db/transactions/#controlling-transaction-management-in-views).

Transactions are designed to avoid data corruption, not eliminate race
conditions - and a race condition is just as likely to occur in the
same app as different apps sharing the same DB -  and it is your
responsibility to avoid them (ie in your code, not django or the DBMS)
but there are many examples on how to avoid them, such as:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1030270/race-conditions-in-django

(I know that some of the advice above may seem obvious, but in my
experience it hasnt been to some...)

Good luck - Patrick