On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 3:31 AM, i...@webbricks.co.uk
<i...@webbricks.co.uk> wrote:
> oh yeah
> http://www.saltycrane.com/blog/2009/05/notes-using-pip-and-virtualenv-django/
>
> that page is my goto reference on building a virtualenv, you might
> have already found it, but if not...
>
> On Jul 5, 10:28 pm, Jeremy <jeremycran...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> AHHH, that makes a little more sense.  I'm trying to install apps from
>> Github.  Things like Pinax, and different individual blogging apps so
>> that I can "plug" them into one Django project to give it multiple
>> bits of social functionality.  Obviously I'm having a lot of trouble
>> (some of it being that it sounds like I don't even know what I'm
>> saying).  I've tried to install these apps through PIP and other forms
>> on Dreamhost, but it keeps saying that I don't have permission.  The
>> way that I believed to get around this is to set up virtualenv on my
>> shared server space, and create the project inside of that, correct?
>> But if I do this, how can I view the project that I creating live?
>>
>> Again, if this all sounds foolish, keep in mind I'm incredibly new to
>> all these concepts and my not understand them enough.  I've been
>> looking for someone locally to give me some Django lessons, but I keep
>> coming up dry.
>>
>> Let me know if anyone can assist me.  Thanks guys.

The two most important things to concern yourself with regarding
starting developing with virtualenv (which is a must):

- source /path/to/venv/bin/activate: this command tells the shell
(bash, zsh, etc) to use the python interpreter located at
/path/to/venv/bin/python instead of the system python interpreter (eg.
/usr/bin/python)

- the pythonpath for your virtualenv is going to be
/path/to/venv/lib/python/site-packages. I usually maintain a separate
directory containing packages I need (either at ~/libraries for global
libraries, third-party apps, etc on my dev box) and
/path/to/venv/libraries on production boxes. Then I symlink python
modules that I need to the /path/to/venv/lib/python/site-packages
directory. Then they'll be on your PYTHONPATH.

The above applies to developing on a *nix box. If you are developing
on windows, stop what you are doing and install virtualbox and ubuntu
or go fully over to a *nix box. You'll appreciate it this.