On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 12:04 AM, Venkatraman S <venka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am doing some bechmarking on the performance of both the versions of the
> query:
> 1.
> Item.objects.filter(created_by__employees__org__in=u.employees_set.all().values_list('org'))
> and
> 2. Items.objects.extra(where=['created_by_id in (select e.user_id from
> myapp_employees e, myapp_organization o where e.org_id = o.id and o.id =
> (select o2.id from myapp_organization o2, myapp_employees e2 where e2.org_id
> = o2.id and e2.user_id=3 and e2.deleted=False)) '])
>
> I am seeing #1 to be faster(when i view from DDT). Will update in the next
> few days or probably early next week.
>
> -V

Personally, I'd add a FK on the Item to the Employee, particularly if
they're in the same app (Actually I'd replace the FK to User with one
to Employee). I suspect that is a simplified models.py so I don't
actually know if there would be a requirement to FK to User. (I also
try to limit my code touching django.contrib.auth since using it is my
biggest pain point for django).