On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Paul Walsh <paulywa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am pretty new to Django - new enough to be developing my first Django app
> on 1.3. So, I am basing all my work on class-based generic views, and have
> never used the older generic view functions.
> A problem I have is the lack of examples and documentation on the new
> class-based generic views.

This is admittedly a big problem with the class-based generic views.
As the person responsible for committing them, I can only offer my
humble apologies for their current state.

> Some might suggest I use Django Forms - it is a reasonable suggestion of
> course. But, being new, I don't have any "view legacy" and I just like the
> idea of working with class-based generic views where possible.

Some might, and they would be correct :-)

This isn't a legacy issue at all -- Forms and Views solve different problems.

The View is solving the problem of "how do I handle this request and
convert it into a response?". The Form is solving the problem of "How
do I convert the POST data in this request into a model object (or a
change to a model object)?".

Very roughly, a view is doing the following:

 1. View gets a request
 2. View works out whether this is a GET or a POST
 3. If its a POST, View asks the Form to turn the Post into a model change
 4. Form returns success or failure
 5. View responds to the success or failure of the Form.
 6. View returns a response.

The functionality of the Form is a complete subset of the
functionality of the View -- and for this reason, it's a completely
interchangable internal component.

Now, in simple situations, it's possible for a View to guess all the
defaults for the form -- all it needs to know is that you're dealing
with a Foo model, and it can construct a default Foo ModelForm.
However, if you have more sophisticated form requirements, you're
going to need a customized Form.

We *could* have implemented this by exposing all the options of
ModelForm on the View class; but in order to keep everything clean, we
kept the ModelForm isolated, and provided the View with a way to
specify which Form class it's going to use.

So - to cover your use case of excluding fields, you define a
ModelForm that excludes the fields, then let the CreateView know the
form you want to use:

class ModelForm(forms.ModelForm):
    class Meta:
        model = Campaign
        exclude = ('user', 'name', 'content_inlined')

class CreateCampaignView(CreateView):
    form_class = CampaignForm
    template_name = "forms/create.html"

I'm guessing when you say "fix a values for a field", you mean setting
the values of user, name and content_inlined before you save the new
Campaign instance; to do this, you need to inject some extra code into
the form processing logic of the form:

class CreateCampaignView(CreateView):
    form_class = CampaignForm
    template_name = "forms/create.html

    def form_valid(self, form):
        self.object.user = ... (something meaningful.. e.g., self.request.user)
        return super(CreateCampaignView, self).form_valid(form)

This overrides the default behavior when the form is valid, and sets
the extra values. The super() implementation of form_valid() will then
save the instance.

For the record, this could also be done by overriding the save()
method on the ModelForm -- however, if you do that, you lose the
request object, which you will need if you're trying to set the
instance values to something that is request-sensitive.

I hope I've provided some helpful clarification here.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)