On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 4:09 AM, fjanon <fja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> - do I need to update the database schema and how do I get the
> appropriate SQL change/patch from Django?
> - is the unique constraint supposed to work when updating an instance
> as well as creating a new one?

unique_together creates a constraint in the database, so it would
prevent any non-uniqueness, creating or updating.

but, syncdb is the only way for Django to setup the database; and it
won't modify existing tables.  You have to choose between:

- erasing your DB table and use syncdb to create it again

- manually modifying the tables in the database with ALTER TABLE.  you
can use "manage.py sql" to see how the table should look like; but it
won't generate the modifications for you.

- South.

There's also some limited model validations that do block some
inconsistencies before hitting the database, that might be why it
works for new instances (although i'm sure you could find some cases
that it wouldn't catch). But ultimately, all data consistency is
supposed to be done by the database.

--
Javier