So what happens if you type while pypy-dist/bin is not the current directory.:

   /absolute/path/to/pypy-dist/bin/pypy

Error or no?

If no error, how about, while cd'ed to your django
project (where settings.py and manage.py are:

  /absolute/path/to/pypy-dist/bin/pypy manage.py shell

Error or no?

If no error, how about (presuming bash or sh):

  export PATH=/absolute/path/to/pypy-dist/bin:$PATH
  pypy manage.py shell

(or the equivalent for your shell.)  You could make this
permanent, if it works and you like it, in ~/.bash_profile .

Or if you don't want to change your PATH environment
variable, you could edit manage.py to begin with:

  #!/absolute/path/to/pypy-dist/bin/pypy

Then do:

   chmod +x manage.py

And you can then say:

  manage.py shell

(or syncdb, runserver, whatever).

Or you can make a shell script called, say, manage, that
cd's to your django project directory, and invokes
manage.py with the appropriate pypy, passing on any
command line arguments that the script got, put the
script somewhere on your path, and you can say:

  manage shell

(If you put it somewhere like /usr/local/bin on a multi-user
machine, you may want to choose a better name.)

BTW, I'm not sure, but I don't expect that mod_wsgi would
be willing to run you using pypy.

Bill