On 18/08/2006, at 12:56 PM, Deryck Hodge wrote:

> I know I'm missing something obvious, but why is this a problem?  It's
> not like the default, well-documented admin location isn't /admin/ on
> a Django site.  I not trying to be a smart aleck or critical.  I'm
> really curious what I'm missing.  Why does it matter that a search
> engine knows where the admin page is?

while *you* might know just by looking at a site that is written in
django,
bots might not.

lets say there was a security problem in django where it didn't
handle a specific
HTTP request (say SQL injection for example)

using these searches I can get a list of sites I could potentially own.

this is how various worms spread in the past. they did a google
search for a specific 'feature'
and then with a known vulnerability in hand, they would attack that
site, put their worm on it, and repeat.

that is one example on why it could be bad.
there are others I could think of but I'm not going to mention them.

--
Ian Holsman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]