You could avoid starting the child process in your view.

If it's a long running process I would actually advocate doing so.
This might be due to limited understanding on my part, but what happens when
Apache wants to kill its child process because MaxRequests was reached?

If you don't need the job done ASAP, you could for example have a directory
where you store 'job files' and have a Cron script look at them. You could
obviously store this in a database too.

Your script could then wait on the processes to collect the returncodes and
avoid this defunct process phenomenom.

This is of course just a suggestion, although I'm pretty sure it would work,
I wouldn't say that it's the one and only way of doing what you want.